The Mayor and Board of Commissioners contract with the Frederick County Sheriff's Office to provide law enforcement coverage to the Town of Emmitsburg. The contract currently provides the Town with two deputies. The deputies are very active in our community.
ALWAYS USE 911 FOR EMERGENCIES
Non Emergency Dispatch: 301.600.2071
Messages from our deputies:
When having packages delivered to your home, beware of “porch pirating” — when a thief steals delivered packages from your doorstep or porch. Thieves can follow delivery trucks, watching for prime targets. These thieves commonly strike during working hours as many homes are empty at that time. To help avoid this situation, when possible, have your packages delivered to a location where they can be received in person, such as a neighbor’s or relative’s house.
When making a purchase online, if the retailer provides the option, choose a specific delivery time. If purchasing from a larger retailer, consider having your package delivered to a local store for pick-up. Take advantage of delivery alerts so you can be notified when a package arrives at your home. If you are not available to accept delivery, ask a trusted neighbor to take your package inside for safekeeping.
When possible, request the delivery company to hold your package at their closest pick-up facility until you can pick it up. You also can ask the shipper to require a signature confirmation of delivery in order to prevent packages being left when no one is home to sign for them. It also is helpful to provide delivery instructions so packages can be left out of sight from your yard or the road.
With the arrival of spring, your community deputies want to remind you to add some safety and crime prevention items to your spring projects list :
- Make sure we can see your address! Frederick County Code requires all house and business addresses be clearly marked and visible from the roadway. This will help first responders find you more efficiently in an emergency. See - https://www.frederickcountymd.gov/2242/Address-Posting-Requirements
- As the weather improves it is tempting to leave doors and windows open. However, please help deter crime by:
- Close your garage doors in the evenings. DO NOT leave your garage door open all night! Not only is it a potential risk for a burglary but is also not safe for your family members.
- Keep all doors and windows locked at night. It is even a good idea to get in the habit of locking your door behind you when you arrive home.
- Always lock vehicle doors… do not make it easy for a thief!
- Leave porch and outdoor lights on overnight.
- Let the Sheriff’s Office and friends know if you plan on being out of town for an extended period of time. The community deputies can conduct patrol checks routinely.
- Do not post on any social media the time and dates you plan on being away from your home. Criminals look on these sites for those things and it makes you a target.
- Also, consider keeping trees and shrubbery trimmed back from doors and windows to limit hiding places.