Water and Sewer Lead Operator
The Town of Emmitsburg, a small community in northern Frederick County, Maryland, has an exciting opportunity for a water and sewer lead operator. This position is immediately available and is full-time. The lead operator is responsible for operating and maintaining the Town’s water and wastewater plants within the parameters of the Safe Drinking Water Act and state and local regulations, including all systems, equipment, grounds equipment, laboratory equipment, and vehicles under the supervision of the Sewer and Water Superintendent. The lead operator supervises the Operators and Operator Trainees in the daily performance of the plants maintenance, and fills in for the Superintendent as needed. The lead operator is responsible for communicating to Town management about the general status, problems, planning or other concerns relating to the plants.
Four years of related experience required. Candidates must also have Water Treatment and Wastewater licenses, as well as a valid driver’s license with the ability/willingness to obtain a CDL and Flaggers License within six months of hire. Candidates must also meet the Town’s requirement for satisfactory background check and drug screen.
Candidates should have:
- Thorough working knowledge of water/wastewater plant operation and applicable regulatory and safety procedures, tools/equipment, chemicals and laboratory specs, and other resources required for operating/maintaining water treatment facilities.
- Ability to perform job with minimal supervision; good problem identification and solving skills; reliable project/task follow-through.
- Good verbal and written communication skills; legible handwriting; good math ability (including metrics system); good staff supervision skills/abilities.
- Willingness and availability to work varied shift schedule, including weekends, nights and early mornings, holidays and overtime.
This position also has several physical requirements:
- Extensive walking and use of arms/legs for plant and grounds maintenance work, shoveling, mowing, weeding, hauling, lifting, climbing stairs, ladders, platforms, etc.
- Good eyesight and ability to clearly read equipment instrument panel digital input/output and discern applicable color codes, etc.
- Must be able to lift/carry 80 lbs.
- Must be willing/able to complete Hepatitis Shot (3-Series).
- Must be willing and able to perform interior/exterior work in all seasonal climate/weather conditions - rain, snow, sleet, hot, humid, cold, etc.
Compensation range: $22.81- $25.56 per hour
To be considered for the position, please email your resume to email@example.com.