The 8 acre Rainbow Lake is located just 3.3 miles from Emmitsburg, MD. You need a free permit issued by the town in addition to your state fishing license. To obtain this permit, go to the Emmitsburg Town Office with your fishing license. The reason for this is that Rainbow Lake is a conservation area and provides water to the surrounding community. Therefore, there is no boating, swimming or camping allowed in the vicinity of the lake.
Fishermen will find a variety of fish including catfish, largemouth bass, rainbow trout, brown trout, bream and bluegill here. Whether you’re spinning, baitcasting or fly fishing your chances of getting a bite here are good. So grab your favorite fly fishing rod and reel, and head out to Rainbow Lake. For Fishing License purchase, fishing rules, and fishing regulations please visit Maryland State Dept of Natural Resources.
According to Maryland State DNR, in 2016 Rainbow lake will be stocked:
Between March 6th - 26th (1,000 Trout)
The week of March 27th (500 Trout)
The week of April 17th (400 Trout)
Hunting in Emmitsburg
There is approximately 1300 acres owned by the Town available for hunting, such as deer, turkey and small game.
(Emmitsburg) Conditions of Use:
- No hunting on Sundays!
- Watershed use is limited to daylight hours.
- No hunting within 150 feet of the established safety zones
- Fishing is permitted only on Rainbow Lake - all other reservoirs are off limits
- Permanent tree stands are prohibited
- Smoking, alcoholic beverages and/or controlled dangerous substances are prohibited
- Camping and fires are prohibited
- Hunting is for Emmitsburg residents with a valid Emmitsburg address (21727-zip code) only. You must show a driver's license for proof of address as well as a valid Maryland hunting license.
- Fishing is for anyone with a valid Maryland or Pennsylvania fishing license.
- Permits must be renewed every year.
- Keep permit with you when on the Town's watershed property
The Multi-User trails in Emmitsburg will be open 7 days a week to hikers and bikers starting May 24, 2018 until September 6, 2018. During this time, there will be no hunting of any kind on any day of the week.
Friday September 7, 2018 is the opening day of deer hunting season. The trails will then return to Sunday only use for hikers and bikers.
Hunting and Safety Regulations for Town of Emmitsburg lands
Designated areas for hunting and safety zones
Town of Emmitsburg Hunting-Fishing permit - example
DNR Hunting Regulations 2017-2018