The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program provides annual grants on a formula basis to states, cities, and counties to develop viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment, and by expanding economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons.
Notice of Public Hearing
view pdf - Spanish
The Town of Emmitsburg will conduct a Public Hearing on October 4, 2021 at 7:30 PM at the Town office located at 300A South Seton Avenue, Emmitsburg, MD 21727 in order to provide information on the progress of the Town-Wide ADA Sidewalk Curb Ramp Project which was funded under the Maryland Community Development Block Grant Program which is a federally funded program designed to assist governments with activities directed toward neighborhood and housing revitalization, economic development, and improved community facilities and services. Efforts will be made to accommodate the disabled and non-English speaking residents with at least 7 days’ advance notice to Zach Gulden, Town Planner, at 301-600-6309.
Donald N. Briggs, Town Mayor
The amount of Community Development Block Grant funds available for State Fiscal Year 2021/Federal Fiscal Year 2020: $7,987,425
• Community Development Block Grant Program funded projects must be for eligible activities under Program regulations AND must meet one of the three national objectives:
1. Benefits persons of low- and moderate- income;
2. Eliminates slum and blight; or
3. Meets an urgent need of recent origin that threatens public health and safety
• Eligible projects generally fall into three types:
2. Public facilities (water/sewer; streets; childcare, senior or community centers; shelters); or
3. Economic development projects
• Over a designated three-year period, the state must cumulatively use 70% of its allocation to benefit persons of low and moderate income.
• In developing the Town-Wide ADA Compliance Curb Ramp’s Project Community Development Block Grant application, the Town contracted with Fox & Associates, Inc. in order to conduct a formal Town-wide inventory and detailed cost estimate of all of the ADA non-compliant sidewalk curbs located at various intersections and street corners. We found that 130 curbs throughout the Town are old, cracking, and not ADA compliant, which create unsafe conditions for all citizens and visitors, but especially the elderly, disabled, wheelchair bound, and sight and hearing impaired. The locations are shown on the projector screen.
• Grant funding will be used in order to renovate these curb ramps to conform to current ADA standards. The total estimated cost of the project is $697,693.50. The Town applied for and was awarded $685,893.50 in Community Development Block Grant funds, contributing $10,000 towards final inspections, and has received donations pledges in the amount of $1,800.00 from our local homeowner’s associations.
CDBG FY21 Application
The draft application was available for the public to review on December 8, 2020 through January 8, 2021. We encourage citizen participation. Any comments on the application and/or project must be directed to Zach Gulden, Town Planner, at email@example.com.
Notice of Public Hearing (12/08/2020)
Noticia de Audiencia Pública (12/08/2020)
Resolution 2020-01R – Community Development Block Grant Citizen Participation Plan
Resolution 2020-02R – Community Development Block Grant Anti-Displacement & Relocation Assistance Plan
Resolution 2020-03R – Community Development Block Grant Submittal AuthorizationResolution 2020-05R – Community Development Block Grant Non-Violent Civil Rights Demonstration Protection
Complaints and grievances relating to this project may be submitted at any time to:
Town of Emmitsburg
C/O Zach Gulden, Town Planner
300A South Seton Avenue
Emmitsburg, MD 21727